Sunday, November 29, 2009

To Prague and Back Again - DAY 3:

After another late start, it was a relaxing day. I headed out and took the funicular up Petrin Hill to Petrin Tower that offers great views of the city. While walking down the tower I ran into a guy from Philadelphia also traveling alone. We got to chatting, grateful to have someone else to talk to. We took a tram to the Castle and visited some sights I didn't see the day before (the fighting giants in one fo the Castle squares) and walked down a different side street with great views of the city to the Charles Bridge.

We walked around Old Town and then grabbed a bite to eat before he headed to an ex-pat bar to watch a football game and I headed to the National Theater to see Bizet's opera Carmen. I paid 500 Krona ($25) for a box seat. The singing and music was great but the dancing and acting were in line with the $25 ticket price. I felt totally under dressed in jeans and a sweater with a backpack but again, it was a last minute decision. I wasn't the only one in jeans but pretty much everyone else was dressed up.

There's a lot more to see and only 3 days left. I'm hoping to do a side trip to one or both of Cesky Krumlov and/or Karlovy Vary. Cesky Krumlov is a medieval city and Karlovy Vary is supposed to have spas with healing waters as well as one of Europe's oldest hotels, The Grand Hotel Pupp (yes, it was in the movie The Last Holiday with Queen Latifah.) :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa, great comments and interesting travelogue...you write well...I love the picture, "Me and Prague". You look like your mom in a picture I have of her when we were teenagers down the Cape with Ellie and Mel thousands of years ago. You make me want to jump on a plane and visit Prague!
    Love, Aunty Mary

    ReplyDelete