Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Palo Alto

Our apartment is only 3 blocks off University Ave., the main drag with all the shops and restaurants you could want, think Newbury St. but on a smaller scale. We're only a five minute walk to the Caltrain which I can take into San Francisco and a 10 minute drive for Kei to get to Stanford.

It's a great neighborhood and the people are all so friendly, maybe it's the weather. Every day is pretty much sunny, between 70-80 degrees with a slight breeze. Just like Boston, yeah, right. But seriously, everyone is super nice, helpful, welcoming and I've met a lot of Boston/New England transplants.

I've been spending my afternoons in a local coffee shop, the University Cafe, coming up with plans for work, how to get work, etc. and am hopefully getting closer to finding some as well as a car. Our apartment is small but since I only see Kei for about two hours a night, it doesn't really matter.

He's up at 5:00 am, which means I am too, and doesn't get home usually until around 9-9:30 pm. Being unemployed, I have the benefit of going back to sleep for a while but those of you who know me and my issues with sleep, know this is not going to be easy when I do get work.

At the moment I'm entertaining two job possibilities. I am returning to photography and am in the process of re-doing my website, but with no connections and no experience in the area, I am also thinking of doing something to supplement my photography until I can get that up and running. Something else I really enjoy doing is event planning. I love working with people, organizing and planning. If anyone knows someone in either field out here, please let me know.

Well, it's time for the daily trek to downtown and to see my new friends (a.k.a. the waiters) at the coffee shop.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to being a witness on this fascinating journey. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa - check out www.offbeatbride.com. There should be a whole mess of event planners listed there for you to cold-call... As an aside, I believe Ariel (the awesome gal who runs the site) is in SanFran.

    ReplyDelete